The third annual ASA DataFest at Ohio State was held on April 7-8, 2018. The dataset for this year's event came from Indeed.com. DataFest participants used over 17 million records of data related to job postings on Indeed's web site to gain insight into job markets. Many DataFest teams chose to combine Indeed's data with outside data on the economy and labor markets to help predict local, national and international economic activity.
DataFest 2018 by the Numbers
- 137 students participated in DataFest 2018.
- DataFesters came from 27 different undergraduate majors...
- ...and 4 different colleges at the University.
- 25 teams completed the weekend-long challenge,
- analyzed over 3 GB of data
- and presented their work to 7 judges made up of faculty and analytics leaders from business and industry.
- Over 40 mentors were on hand to work with DataFest participants.
- Mentors included OSU faculty, graduate students and alumni, and statistics and analytics professionals from 7 companies locally and nationally.
Awards were given in four categories: Best Overall Analysis, Best Visualization, Best Use of Outside Data and Judges' Choice. The winning teams (and honorable mentions) are listed on the DataFest @ OSU website, along with information about previous DataFest competitions.