(Formerly Biomedical Informatics)
Specialization Educational Objectives
In addition to the core objectives, a student graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Data Analytics with a specialization in Biomedical and Public Health Analytics will:
- demonstrate an understanding of the core sub-disciplines of biomedical informatics and public health that play a role in the design, implementation, and management of clinical, research, and translational information systems.
- describe the contributing theoretical frameworks that are conventionally used to inform the design and use of biological data, medical information systems, and integrative data discovery and analysis tools.
- apply critical evaluation skills that allow for the analysis of system design, interpretation and utilization of biomedical and public health information systems and data.
Degree Planning Resources
Take a look at the suggested 4-year sample plan [pdf] and the advising curriculum sheet [pdf] for Biomedical and Public Health Analytics. These should be used as guides only. Semester offerings are subject to change.
Students specializing in Biomedical and Public Health Analytics must take the following prerequisite courses. As noted on the General Education (GE) Requirements page, these courses also partially satisfy the GE Natural Science requirement.
- Chemistry 1110: Elementary Chemistry or Chemistry 1210: General Chemistry I
- Biology 1113: Biological Sciences: Energy Transfer and Development
All students specializing in Biomedical and Public Health Analytics must complete the following specialization requirements.
- MOLGEN 4500: General Genetics or MOLGEN 4606: Molecular Genetics
- BMI 5710: Introduction to Biomedical Informatics
- PUBHLTH 5015: Public Health Data Analytics
- Choose one elective course from the following:
BMI 5720 Introduction Imaging Informatics
BMI 5730 Introduction Bioinformatics
BMI 5740 Introduction Research Informatics
BMI 5750 Methods in Biomedical Informatics
BMI 5760 Public Health Informatics
BMI 5770 Health Analytics: Data to Discovery to Dissemination
PUBHEPI 5420 Infectious Disease Modeling in Humans and Animals
PUBHBIO 5280 Introduction to Genomic Data Analysis
PUBHEPI 5421 Mathematics of Infectious Disease Dynamics
GEOG 5226 Spatial Simulation and Modeling in GIS
- STAT 4911: Capstone in Data Analytics
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to Adobe .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com