Students majoring in Data Analytics must satisfy the General Education (GE) requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree in the College of Arts and Sciences. The following advising guidelines will help students plan their GE courses to ensure timely progress toward completion of the major.
Calculus I (Math 1151) and II (Math 1152) are required core courses in the major. These courses can also be used to satisfy the following GE requirements:
- Math 1151 can be used to satisfy the Quantitative and Logical Skills - Mathematical and Logical Analysis requirement
- Math 1152 can be used to partially satisfy the Open Option requirement
Students who have had no prior exposure to statistics may (but are not required to) elect to take Statistics 2450 - Introduction to Statistical Analysis, which may be used to satisfy the following GE requirement:
- Statistics 2450 can be used to partially satisfy the Open Option requirement
Each specialization has a unique set of course requirements that is customized for the subject area. Some of these courses may also be used to fulfill requirements for particular GE categories as described below.
Students choosing the Biomedical Informatics specialization should take the following courses, which also fulfill the GE Natural Science requirement:
- Chemistry 1110 (5 credit hours) or Chemistry 1210 (5 credit hours)
- Biology 1113 (4 credit hours)
- Biology 1114 (4 credit hours)
Students choosing the Business Analytics specialization are required to take Principles of Microeconomics (Economics 2001.01) and Principles of Macroeconomics (Economics 2002.01). These courses can also be used to satisfy the following GE requirements:
- Economics 2001.01 and Economics 2002.01 together can be used to fulfill the Social Science requirement
The Compuational Analytics specialization has several different focus areas. Students choosing the Linguistics and Text Analytics focus area should plan on taking Linguistics 2000 - Introduction to Language in the Humanities, which may be used to satisfy the following GE requirement:
- Linguistics 2000 can be used to fulfill the Culture and Ideas requirement.